Match Reports

match reports

28/8/16 WTFC Ladies 1st Team 1-2 Colney Heath Ladies

Following the narrow 2-1 defeat to Ipswich Wanderers last week, Wymondham hosted Colney Heath in their first home game of the season. With a few changes to the squad from last week’s game, Wymondham were looking to get three points on the table to kick start their campaign, which started well after only six minutes. Gemma Sanders continued her good start to the season with the opening goal of the game and her second of the season. Wymondham were comfortable during the first half, making it difficult for Colney Heath to move the ball or create any clear opportunities. Wymondham continued to create chances through the half but were unable to capitalise on the opportunities created. Just before the half time whistle Brooke Cheal-Ferris burst from defence, striding forwards with the ball, skipping past several challenges before smashing the ball past the goalkeeper from the edge of the area. Half time score: Wymondham 2-0 Colney Heath.

Wymondham made a slight adjustment in their tactics going into the second half, which paid off immediately when Alice Collins picked the ball up from a superb Summer Moore pass before lofting the ball over the goalkeeper from 35 yards. She doubled her personal tally on 55 minutes when she followed up an Amber Cantwell strike, beating the goalkeeper to the rebound. Wymondham continued to press and further increased their lead on 74 minutes after Cantwell was pushed in the back which resulted in a penalty. Cantwell picked herself up to slot the ball home confidently into the bottom right hand corner after a delay in the placement of the ball. Wymondham were not finished and on 87 minutes, Summer Moore scored a goal of the season contender as she volleyed the ball into the back of the net from 45 yards which prompted big celebrations from the team and capped a very solid personal performance. There was still time for a seventh goal, as Kayleigh Holloway latched onto a loose pass before bursting forwards and smashing the ball with great control to round off another positive individual performance.

Despite the score line stealing the headlines, the defence were very compact, won individual battles and backed each other up to ensure a first clean sheet of the season. Full time score: Wymondham 7-0 Colney Heath. POM: Amber Cantwell; a skilful and energetic performance from Wymondham number 9. Wymondham are away to Little Thurrock this Sunday, with a 2pm kick off.

Team: A.Collins, B.Cheal-Ferris, L.Newcombe, B.Fretwell, K.Ayers, R.Cossey ©, S.Moore, K.Holloway, A.Cantwell, G.Sanders, H.Johnson (E.Swift, 45).

20/8/16 WTFC Res 3-2 Bungay Res

The season opener for the reserves was an eventful one, but a game that saw Wymondham take all 3 points in a 3-2 victory. Town made a shaky start, presenting two clear cut chances to Bungay early on in the match, which they failed to convert. After this though the reserves began to get a foothold in the game, creating a few half chances, with the midfield working at a high intensity, making it very hard for Bungay to settle down into any sort of rhythm. 20 minutes in Wymondham opened the scoring, Craig Wright sent a long diagonal pass towards Tom Woods, who’s cushioned header found John-Paul McAvoy who finished emphatically on the volley, with the ball smacking against the underside of the crossbar before crossing the goal-line. With the 1-0 lead Wymondham began to look more comfortable and began to control the game and looked as if they would take their one goal lead into half time. Just before the whistle went though, a defensive error, allowed their striker to go one on one with George Ducker, with the striker coming out on top. The second half started evenly, with both sides working hard to try and gain the upper hand, unfortunately for Bungay, Wymondham were presented with the lead around 10 minutes into the second half through a comical own goal. Brilliant pressing from John-Paul McAvoy caused the Bungay defender to pass back to his goalkeeper, who then was rushed into attempting to clear the ball first time, the ball then bobbled up as the keeper swung for it, went over his swinging leg and rolled into the net behind him. With the game precariously set Bungay upped the anti, pressing forward and creating several chances, with George Ducker coming up with several impressive pieces of goalkeeping. After withstanding the pressure Wymondham began to attack and soon won a penalty, which Tom Woods put away confidently. 3-1 up, Town began to sit back and became more compact in an effort to see out the game With around 10 minutes remaining, Bungay won a penalty of their own, which they scored to set up a grandstand finished, they pressed hard in search of an equaliser, but a brilliant defensive display for the rest of the game, ensured 3 points were staying firmly at Kings Head Meadow.